We thought it would be super fun to make our own beautiful spider web and spider, so this is what we came up with:
Materials you need:
- 3 craft popsicle sticks
- hot glue gun
- white paint
- paint brush (we used the foam kind but any will work)
- white yarn
- 1 pipe cleaner (color of your choice)
1. Use the hot glue gun to glue the craft sticks together in a criss cross pattern. This obviously needs to be done by an adult. I used the hot glue gun because it dries so quickly but you could use a different type of glue if you choose.
3. Now it's time to start making the web. Wrap the white yarn around one of the craft sticks and tie a knot to get the web started. (see photo below)
4. Start to wrap the yarn around the craft sticks in a spiral pattern. Basically, wrap it around one stick then the next stick, etc. Wrap it fairly tight to keep it in place. My children didn't have enough patience to do all the wrapping themselves so be prepared to basically wrap the web yourself. (Lesson learned! LOL)
5. Once the craft sticks are full, tie the yarn in a knot to secure the web and cut off the excess yarn.
6. Turn it over and your spider web is finished.
10. Place the spider on the web. To secure it in place, twist 2 of the legs together on the back of the web.
I ended up doing lots of the work on this project myself but the kids enjoyed it (especially the finished project) so it was worth it!